Monday, December 8, 2008

Book Review

I read The Fountainhead between high school and college and felt that it completely altered my view of myself and my relationships with other people, for the better. It's always been a favorite of mine and I was anxious to revisit it.

Overall, The Fountainhead holds up for me at a later stage in my life. Rand's views on the individualist and the virtue of selfishness still ring true for me in many ways. The evils of altruism she decries are what many find so hard to accept in her writings, but I have to say, now more than ever, I see a society of people living muted, complacent and passionless lives. Rand's theories on how we got there seem to hit the nail on the head.

There are moments where she goes a little overboard in romanticizing her characters or the love affair between Dominique Francon and Howard Roark and you just say, "Really, Ayn?" As a teenager I bought into those hook, line and sinker. Now, not so much.

All in all, I'm happy to discover, I still love this book. I wonder when Pyrate and Pepper will be ready for objectivism?

No comments: