Friday, November 5, 2010

Pepper at 2!

I hope to know hundreds of different versions of my kids as they grow and evolve over long, healthy lifetimes, but my dearest wish right now is to hold this Pepper, at age 2, close to my heart forever. She still has beautiful baby chub, she smiles and lights up a room, she gives so freely of her sweet little hugs and kisses. She smells like a lightly perfumed dessert that you want to gobble up and not share with anyone else in the world. And her voice, is a butterfly song, lilting and light, high and filled with love. (And as I write this , she sits behind me growling like a demon!)

For Pepper's 2nd birthday we were camping at Dogwood Campground near Lake Arrowhead. She enjoyed a unique independence there, free to wander all side of our campsite, get dirty, run and play. Surprisingly, she had no trouble sleeping in the tent and she definitely enjoyed her birthday cupcake. I wonder if she'll expect presents the next time we go camping? Her favorite book is The Hungry Caterpillar because he is always "still hungry" just like her.

Since turning two, she has seen her sister off to Kindergarten, claiming all the way, "I go to school too! I ready Kinnagaaten!" She has learned to (mostly) sing the ABCs, pooped on the potty twice and can do a little puzzle set meant for three year olds. She is possessive of mommy around other children but will just as often choose daddy to help her with some task around the house. She took right to Parent Ed classes, especially enjoying singing time and quickly learning many songs. She is tall for her age and has excellent balance. Sometimes she seems very grown up. She asks several time a week if we can go to Disneyland.

She also has a wicked temper, a bossy side and an uncanny way of imitating Hannibal Lechter. But her anger and outbursts are usually very quickly quelled and out comes the Angelina sunshine again! Even though I think she broke my nose while playing kitty cat, I simply can't get enough of her.

No comments: